- Explore your own style using font. Define what a serif and sans serif are. Decide which suits your style better. Start creating and experimenting with your own font. DO NOT COPY other fonts. You can borrow certain aspects of a font, but you need to change it into your own. You will need to name your fonts. For this sketch assignment, you are to come up with a minimum of 3 different font styles. They can all be a variation of one font, or they can be three completely different ideas. You must complete the alphabet. (Use the tips given in the movie, “Helvetica.”)
- Now that you have your font created, you will give your font variations. How does it look italicized? Does it have a bold version? Does it have any other styles to it? A holiday version? A scary or serious version? A playful version? Etc. See how many kinds of variations you can come up with for your own font. Use words to describe each. You are almost personifying the font. Think of the uses of these fonts. Who would use the serious one versus the playful one? You must complete the alphabet. (Use the tips given in the movie, “Helvetica.”) (Font)
- You will need a business to work with in class. Your task is to work on creating your own business idea. You will use this business to learn how to create a brand name. You will need to develop the ins and outs of this company, as we will be asking questions in class. You should know at least the name of the business, what your business does (business goals), how your business operates or works, what employs you have or how many, who your customers are, what your product looks like (packaging and all), how do you advertise/ communicate to your buyers?, etc. You will want to take your first idea, and push it 3 different ways. OR have three completely different ideas. Get those problem-solving juices flowing. In class, you will need to be prepared to introduce your company to us, show us the name of the company and the beginning ideas of what your company logo might look like. What kinds of colors represent your company? (See color theory talk during class for help with this) This is planning for an in class project. (Logo, brand identity)
- Sell me a color. You can pick any color you want. Using what we have learned about what each color means or represents, you will need to create an advertisement selling me a color of your choice. Ideas and designs must be original. Come up with 3 different versions of this; or try out three different colors and decide which one is more successful and why. Be creative, be school appropriate.
- DUE: December 1: You will need to take 10 pictures of the elements and principles of art. Specifically, you will need to focus on line and shape! These pictures need to be original! You are taking them specifically for this class, do not use old pictures or someone else’s pictures. This is homework for an in class graphic design project. Be prepared! (Symmetrical Graphic Design)
- You are to use your own font and 1 other font to create 3 variations of your favorite movie cover, book cover, or band album (CD Cover). You are to RE-CREATE this in your own designs. You have to use your own pictures, font, and designs. You cannot copy anything. ALL must be original. You are creating a poster for your chosen cover. Try to visually communicate how you feel about the book, movie, or band. Decide a reason for the poster. Is the author on a book tour?, is the book being turned into a movie?, is the band playing at a local theater?, is the band getting back together for one more tour?, etc. Be creative and have fun. This is the planning to an in class project. (Poster)